Friday, July 20, 2007

Why "Chuck and Larry" isn't funny for gays


A new movie comes out today with Adam Sandler and Kevin James as straight firefighters who pretend to be gay to get domestic partner benefits. I haven't seen the film but supposedly it's full of stereotypes and is offensive. I don't judge movies before I see them but in this case I'm offended by the very premise of the movie, let me explain why.

Four months ago Janice Langbehn and her partner Lisa Pond (with their 3 children) were going to take a cruise from Miami to the Bahamas. (They have been partners for 18 years.) Lisa was stricken with a brain aneurysm in Miami.

The University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital did not recognize her or their children as part of Pond's family. They were not allowed to be in the emergency room and Janice could not make decisions for Lisa's care.

When Lisa was taken to the emergency room a social worker at the hospital told them they were in an "anti-gay state" and needed legal documents before Janice could see her. Legal documents were faxed authorizing Janice to make medical decisions for Lisa. She still was not invited to be with her partner or told about her condition.

The last time that Janice was able to see Lisa was when "Last Rites" were delivered. Lisa Pond died without her family being around her. If they had been legally married there would have been no question that Janice could have held Lisa's hand while life slipped away from her.

This is just one situation - there are about 20+ benefits that gay couples do not get even as domestic partners that they would get with legal marriage.

So forgive me if I don't think a comedy about straight guys wanting to have a gay marriage to get the "benefits" is funny. It's insulting and sad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I will go see the movie as my movie partner has already stated SHE will boycott this film. However, I have read that GLADD thinks it is a good movie, in that is will reach an audience and help them understand the importance of gay marriage, that may otherwise not get reached in other avenues. Quit being so cranky!

Anonymous said...

Why you so cranky????

Anonymous said...

What do you think about John Travolta in Hair Spray? I think that should be boycotted too!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Chuck and Larry is a medifor for Adam and Steve. WWJD?
Getrdone!